Feb 3, 2010

We're Binky Free! (for a while)

So two weeks ago, I decided it was way past time to get rid of Ammon's binkies. I've never let my kids have them past 18 months before...so I was six months overdue. I was out of excuses: the holidays were over and my "morning" (all-day) pregnancy sickness was gone. I had to face it. It was easy to get rid of binkies with my girls...they just kinda "disappeared" one day and it wasn't even an issue. Easy. But that's how my girls are - very agreeable. Josh never took a binky (that's a whole different post) but with Ammon being six months older, he was also six months more attached, and I was nervous.

So naptime came, and when Ammon asked for his binky and we looked at the shelf where they normally go, and they were "gone" I said, "Binkies all gone - no more binkies," and I handed him his blanket. I left the room, he cried, and I knew I was in for it. And then...miraculously...after five minutes the crying stopped. And the child slept. And the mom rejoiced!

That night was even better. No crying. Not even a wimper. Just a peaceful bedtime. Was this for real? I thought so and patted myself on the back for having such amazing kids - the binkies went in the garbage (to avoid temptation) and for several days we forgot about it.

It didn't last. He has now been taking shorter naps, and struggling with going to sleep here and there, but we are slowly making the transition. Today felt like magic when he went down for his nap immediately - no fussing - and slept 2.5 hours. I'm glad the binkies were in the garbage - there have been days where I would have used them - but I am proud of the little guy and at least there haven't been any tantrums. Actually I don't know if Ammon even knows how to throw a tantrum - he is such a sweet little guy.

I have learned my lesson though - the binky is only welcome in our home for 18 months or less...I just hope Ammon doesn't freak out when little brother arrives along with new binkies. And looking forward? The next major transition will be from crib to bed...and then potty training...oh dear! Here's to the daily grind of motherhood!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on being binky free! I remember how hard it was with Emmy, but I know the binky made the first 18 months so much easier and felt like it was VERY worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we got rid of Haley's binky it was less painful than I thought it would be too. She has taken the baby's binky a few times, but only to tease me. She doesn't REALLY want it so I'm sure you'll be just fine when your baby comes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME, even though it was a little rough. I agree with the 18 month thing... We tried with Addie at that age but she just ended up taking Eliza's! Good luck with the big boy bed and potty training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was having major problems with my son's binky use; well actually it was more along the lines of a binky addiction!! My friend absolutely raved about the cut method, and all of the psychology behind it. She found it on www.bye-bye-binky.com , which is great that it was also free. We went with it and OMGosh... worked so beautifully for my son with NO tantrums, not even one! Thank you God. Five days later he did not want anything to do with his binky. What a relief it was to all of us to finally be done with those darn binkies. Highly recommended! I am also interested in others experiences.... Bella

    ReplyDelete