Jun 8, 2010

The end is in sight

So I went to the doctor yesterday and everything is looking good and on schedule. I’m 1 cm dilated (yes, there is such thing as zero!) but I wouldn't have expected much different for 36 weeks. For a multipara (woman who's had more than one child) the changes to the cervix usually come much later. But the exciting part is that I scheduled an induction date! We will be headed to the hospital on Wednesday, June 30, to have this baby! That is one week before my due date and only 22 days away!!

I thought a lot about whether or not to be induced. I had conversations with many people, and many had strong feelings about a "false" start to labor. I also heard a lot of great things about natural (drug-free) births. I won't pretend it was an easy choice, but when it comes right down to it I have to do what is right for me. I've had some real concerns that many ladies don't have to deal with:
#1: Mark works in downtown SLC. He rides the bus and is therefore at the mercy of the bus schedule to get him home. Express busses do not run all day. We only have one vehicle, so if he drives to work that leaves me stranded.
#2: This one is my saddest issue: I don’t have a mother or mother-in-law here to help. My own mom has been gone over four years now (maybe she'll be allowed to be at the delivery in spirit), and Mark's mom is on a mission in Hong Kong (who I know really wishes she could be here).
#3: I have four other kids to make arrangements for while I'm in the hospital. This is a major concern for me...and with school being out this is a full-time job!
#4: I’m due so close to a holiday weekend...if I went into labor during the Freedom Festival celebrations it could be really hard to get help.
So scheduling the delivery and being able to address those issues really seems to make sense. I feel really good about it and no longer have [as much] anxiety about what’s going to happen. Being induced doesn't worry me - I was induced with Josh 11 days early (necessary because he stopped growing) so I know the routine. I'm hoping that since this is #5 baby my body will cooperate nicely and will be ready by that point anyway.
Although I like to feel like putting a birth date on the calendar has given me total control, I know there's still a chance he could come earlier than that on his own! With both Holly & Ammon I was one week early; 2 days early with Ella. So if that happens all my careful planning will be out the window!
Anyway, with 22 days left until we get to meet this little guy (I am so excited!), I've been asking myself if there's anything left to do to prepare or anything I myself want to do before he comes (and once again my life is not my own). I can't think of anything! I mean, sure, there's lots of stuff I'd love to do, but waterskiing and ballet aren't exactly possible right now. Let's face it...my body is not my own right now either! One thing I am excited for is a trip to the Stum family cabin this weekend - I'm really happy to have a chance to get up in the mountains for some R&R. And then next week is Strawberry Days in PG which will keep us busy and entertained, and then it's just a matter of time! Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. SOOO excited for you!! AF Hospital, right? I love that I don't work so I will definitely be by to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I can't believe the time is here. Good Luck and I am so excited for you. Jamie just had her baby, a boy, Yours is a boy, and my boy is due in Oct. We will have to get together this fall, after all the babies are here. Good Luck with your induction. 3 of the 4 of mine have been induced and I have had a very positive experience. No need to worry!!!

    ReplyDelete