Apr 19, 2009

Grateful for Inspiration

Last week I got all the kids in bed before I headed to dance class and knew Mark would be so happy to have an evening of free time while I was gone. When I got home I knew by Mark's face that things hadn't gone according to plan. Ammon had cried most of the time and just wouldn't settle down to sleep. A dozen reasons cycled through my mind, and I finally decided that he was sad he hadn't spent any time with his Daddy and wanted to stay up and play. So I fixed a bottle, handed Ammon to Mark, and thought a little one-on-one would do the trick. When the crying continued I knew it was more serious than that...I quickly realized that this was a cry of pain. Something was bothering Ammon. There aren't many things that evoke a more helpless feeling than when your child hurts and you don't know how to help. No sooner did I pray for help in my mind than I knew something was wrong with his foot. I started examining and found that his baby toe had some elastic from his jammies keeping it in a funny position...I'm sure after a few hours of that it was really painful. As soon as I fixed it, Ammon instantly settled down and gave a big sigh of relief. And I gave a big sigh of relief and gratitude for receiving an answer to prayer so quickly. This might not seem like a huge deal to some, but to a mother facing a potentially long night of watching a child suffer, it was a true "tender mercy" from heaven.

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand. We had one of those moments last week when Liza was sick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it was just the toe, and not more trips to the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reminder of prayer and receiving answers. I had read (in a Parenting magazine) about a child having a same experience but their toe had a single hair wrapped around it that must have been stuck in their jammies but they had to take them to the hospital bcse it started to cut off their circulation. Had you not prayed it could have had the same effect and not known where the source of the pain was coming from. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete